Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Sleepless night

Margaret, my two month old, was up late last night, and many times in the night.  Catherine, who turned two last month, thought she would add to the fun by waking up at 4:00 this morning.  Sometimes I swear my kids conspire to make sure I get as little sleep as possible.  (It makes me more likely to say, "fine" when I may have otherwise said, "no.")

Today I am Christmas shopping with my mother-in-law.  Fortunately for me, I actually like my mother-in-law.  Only the baby is coming along, and with as little as she slept last night she should sleep in her car seat at least through lunch.  (I hope.)

I am still anxiously awaiting a reply on the one act play that I submitted.  Plays aren't mainly what I write, most of my projects are children's lit.  However, I have directed the high school spring play in my home town for the last few years and last year I had a brilliant (I think, anyway) idea. 

Last summer we had the first annual Acting Out Festival.  Four students wrote ten minute plays that we performed.  The profits from the show went back to those four students for them to put toward their college expenses.  I also wrote a play for the festival that the kids performed.  It was a lot of fun.  They are an amazing group of kids and I am looking forward to doing it again next summer.  I have started writing another play for next year's festival, but if we get enough great entries from students then we won't use mine, which is fine by me.

I have been encouraging one of last year's playwrights to submit his play for publication also.  He is a very busy college freshman now, but I'm sure he has figured out that I will be a huge pain in his ass until he submits it.  I'm not normally a pain, (okay, my husband would disagree with that, but really, I'm not) but it was a very funny script and it would be great for him and the future success of the Acting Out Festival if he got it published.

So wish us luck!  Both for the plays and that I don't fall asleep shopping today.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment